Sunday 14 May 2023

Chris Packham witness statement, part 10: I fear for the health and security of me and my family


This is the concluding instalment of the witness statement submitted by broadcaster Chris Packham at the onset of a defamation case he  brought against three individuals who he believes have defamed him. The judge's ruling is expected to be announced shortly.


DESPITE the fact that my reputation has been honestly, properly and fairly formed over many years we now live in an age where such integrity and credibility can be dashed by one unsubstantiated lie, let alone a litany of lies

However, for all of the above, aside from money and missions, I am a human being. 

And I believe in a right to live unencumbered by malicious accusations, animal carcasses and burning gates. 

I have to get up in the face of continual adversity and carry on. 

As our climate changes and our species disappear, as the droughts and floods and famines spread, as the fields and woods fall silent I have a duty to try and stem the flow, to stop the rot. 

For all my apparent stoicism, I cannot deny material written about me has damaged my mental health and wellbeing.

It is  demoralising because it simply fuels division and slows progress. 

I do now genuinely fear for the health and security of me and my family.

I do go to walk my dogs in the woods and wonder if this will be the day that a psychopath fuelled by all this hate turns up and kills me. 

I genuinely no longer expect to live a long life free from violence and intimidation. 

It may only take the one wrong person to for things to go horribly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment