Sunday 14 May 2023

Chris Packham witness statement, part 8: Random dead animals and human faeces are regularly posted to me

In this instalment of the witness statement published at the start of his court case against three individuals whom he claims has defamed him, Chris Packham describes how his campaigning initiatives on behalf of wildlife regularly attract appalling  responses from his critics. (See also earlier blogs.)

MY  campaigning against illegal and unsustainable shooting/hunting has attracted criticism from field sports quarters for many years. 

have learned to live with this and see it as an inevitable consequence of trying to change views, lifestyles and business practices that are having a damaging impact on the planet and its wildlife. 

For example, my post was so regularly stolen that, following police advice, it now goes to an alternative postbox - one not located where I live. 

The box is outside. We visit and sort the mail based upon three criteria to determine if there is any threat. 

This is to try to ensure that me and my family remain safe. 

Random dead animals and human faeces are regularly posted to me. 

There are also regularly people taking photos of my house and hanging around the gate. 

My stepdaughter, Megan, has had members of the public brazenly taking photos of her outside the house. 

I have become accustomed to the plethora of dead animals people leave at my home. 

This started  two dead crows hanging outside my home and my security gate being glued shut 

After that, a snared dead fox was left in my yard in December, 2019, then a dead badger was hung from my gate in February, 2020.

This sort of highly antisocial behaviour has just become a constant source of background noise in my life.

Constant attempts to misrepresent me and my views have also served to amplify the division between the various sectors of countrysiders who purport to have different perspectives and views. 

This division is eminently dangerous as it directly thwarts creative dialogue and progress. 

* To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment