| Chris Coghlan - seeking assurances on whether correct procedures were followed |
A SURREY MP is investigating an incident in which a colony of nesting Swifts was allegedly wiped out during demolition of an office block near Dorking Railway Station.
The email inbox of Chris Coghlan, Lib-Dem MP for Dorking & Horley has been flooded with furious protests about the timing earlier this summer of demolition of Regent House and adjacent buildings.
Since then, Surrey police, Mole Valley District Council, Surrey Wildlife Trust, a development company, demolition contractors and an ecological consultancy have been exploring how things went so wrong.
Now, without attributing blame, the MP is seeking both an explanation and full transparency.
Says he: "Thank you to everyone who has contacted me about the demolition of Regent House and the potential loss of Swift nesting sites.
"I am copying this update to a number of you due to the volume of correspondence I have received.
"I recognise how strongly people feel about this, particularly given the importance of Swifts and the timing during the nesting season.
"Many of you have also raised concerns about transparency and whether the correct processes were followed. I share the view that this situation warrants close scrutiny.
"I remain in contact with Surrey police regarding the status of their investigation and whether any offences may have been committed."
Mr Coghlan continues: "Separately, I have asked the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management to review the ecological work submitted as part of the planning process.
"This is to assess whether the surveys and evidence provided by the developer met expected professional standards.
"For clarity, the legal framework places responsibilities on several parties: developers must comply with wildlife legislation and submit appropriate ecological assessments; local planning authorities must consider these and apply suitable conditions or mitigations; and any potential offences are a matter for the police.
"While MPs do not have a formal role in planning decisions, I am actively seeking assurances that the correct processes were followed in this case.
"If it becomes clear that the current system has failed to protect known Swift nesting sites, I will press for changes - whether in guidance, enforcement, or seasonal protection - so that this cannot happen again.
"I will continue to follow this closely and will provide further updates as more information becomes available."
| By the light of a silvery moon - a Swift swoops by |
No comments:
Post a Comment