Monday 1 July 2024

Author and TV presenter Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recalls how sight of kingfisher made him 'burst into tears'

 


AUTHOR  and broadcaster Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has revealed how the sight of a kingfisher on his 34-acre Devon smallholding caused him to shed tears of joy.

His charming admission comes in an interview with Ria Higgins in the Sunday Telegraph newspaper to coincide with the launch of his book, How to Eat 30 Plants a Week.

Says he: "Not long after moving in, I made forked poles  from large hazel sticks and put them in the middle of one of our ponds in the hope that a kingfisher would come by.

"For 10 years, I saw nothing.

"Then one evening during Covid, I was walking past this pond with one of my sons, Freddy, and noticed one of them wobbling as if a bird had jumped off it.

"Next I see this electric-blue bird dart across the pond and I just burst into tears.

"This little bird got me right here . . "                                           

'Electric blue' bird - kingfisher on mealtime alert

The author is sometimes dubbed Hugh 'Fearlessly-Eatsitall' 

No comments:

Post a Comment