Friday 25 November 2022

Bygone birding: Did goldcrest really make part of North Sea crossing on back of short-eared owl?

                                                                         

Goldcrest? Does species sometimes hitch a lift across the ocean wave? 

Below is a letter published in an edition of The Zoologist journal (1882)

Sir -

The following fact was related to me by Mr. Wilson, the foreman on the South Gare Breakwater at the mouth of the Tees:

"I was at the end of the Gare on the morning of October 16, 1879, when I saw a short-eared owl come flopping across the sea. 

"As it got nearer, I saw something sitting between its shoulders, and wondered what it could be. 

"The owl came and lit on the gearing within ten yards of where I was standing, and, directly it came down, a little bird dropped off its back and flew along the Gare. 

"I signalled for a gun, but the owl saw me move and flew off across the river. 

"We followed the little bird and caught it, and I sent it away to be made into a feather for my daughter's hat."

"The little bird was a golden-crested wren." 

Wilson could have had no inducement in telling me other than the truth, and I have every reason to believe that what I have written is correct. 

It does not necessarily follow that the goldcrest came the whole way across the North Sea on the back of the owl, but I think it is quite possible that, feeling tired on the way, it might have availed itself of the assistance of its compagnon de voyage, and so be carried to shore.

Wilson further told me he had seen another wren on an owl's back about a fortnight after he saw the first one. 

T. H. Nelson 
Redcar

No comments:

Post a Comment