Monday 22 February 2021

IS THIS END OF THE ROAD FOR MARK AVERY'S LIVELY - AND CONTROVERSIAL - DAILY BLOG?


Mark Avery - witty and entertaining 

ONE of Britain's foremost - and most controversial - writers on wildlife and politics has revealed that he is to wind down his popular daily blog.

Says Mark Avery, a former head of conservation at the RSPB: "In about two months’ time this blog will downsize considerably.

"This will be for at least several months and quite possibly for ever."

Northamptonshire-based Dr Avery, an expert on pipistrelle bats, is known for his vehement opposition to driven grouse shooting which he blames for numerous environmental ills, not least illegal persecution of raptors such as hen harriers.

He has also regularly locked horns with Natural England over what he believes to inadequate stewardship of its brief to save Nature.

He is a pal of broadcaster Chris Packham and co-director of Wild Justice which they set up jointly with raptor-expert Ruth Tingay.

Writing on his blog today, Dr Avery continues: "I intend to fill the time freed up by spending far less time blogging.

"Why two months’ time? Because then I will have been blogging here (with the help of many other contributors) for a whole decade. 

"That’s a fair stint (as Temminck once said) and I am fairly amazed that during that period the readership has grown steadily. 

"It is fair to say that there is nothing very similar to this blog anywhere else in the UK that provides news and  commentary across a similarly large range of conservation issues, with a mixture of images, poems, guest blogs and cartoons. 

"I wish there were someone else doing this - then I could read their blog!"

He adds: "How am I going to spend the time freed up? I will spend more time walking around Stanwick Lakes this spring. 

"I will grow tomatoes, I will write a book and start some others, I will happily devote more time to the growing work of Wild Justice and continue to devote time to being Chair of the World Land Trust. 

"And I might snooze more in the afternoons!"

No comments:

Post a Comment