Monday 26 June 2023

Amid the clamour and cacophony of calling seabirds, a mother-of-two collapsed and almost died

                                           

Frightening experience for Donna who has since been helping to promote the work of Yorkshire Ambulance Service which supplied this photo  
 

A MUM who almost died while birding on the Yorkshire Coast, near Bempton,  has expressed renewed gratitude to those who saved her life.

It was a year and a day ago that Donna Bates  became unable to breathe and  collapsed on the cliff walk between the RSPB-managed site and nearby Flamborough.

At the time, she had been with two of her children, admiring the gannets, puffins and other seabirds that breed on the cliff edges.

Luckily, two other people, a man and a woman, saw her distress - she had suffered a cardiac arrest - and immediately administered first aid in the form of Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation.

It was the combination of chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth artificial ventilation, that kept Donna (40) alive.

Says Donna of Bubwith, near Selby, in Yorkshire: "Through CPR, they  saved my life until coastguards, paramedics and the air ambulance arrived.

"They also looked after my two children - Kian (13) and Isabella (7) - who would have been left alone in a frightening  situation with no help. 

"There was less than a one per cent chance that I would have made it off that cliff top."

Continues Donna: "One year on, and I am no closer to knowing who my saviours were, but I am hoping that - through the various media I have done - they know what they have done for my family. 

"Thanks to them, I survived and beat all the odds.

"That evening, my children had been  told that I might not make it but happily I did, and  I am here to hold my children." 

Concludes Donna: "Please please please, let something good come from my story!

"Those of you unfamiliar with CPR please spend a few minutes learning.

"Without these amazing strangers it would have been a very different story for me and my children that fateful day." 

                                       

Seabirds dot the cliffs of Flamborough near where Donna fell ill

No comments:

Post a Comment