Friday 17 July 2020

LABOURED BREATHING AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS! RSPB CHIEF'S FRIGHTENING BRUSH WITH 'DEVIL DISEASE'

                                                         
"Roller coaster of illness and recovery" - happily RSPB chief Beccy Speight has bounced back from ordeal
  

RSPB supremo Beccy Speight is on the mend after a "frightening" battle with Covid-19.

Ms Speight, the charity’s chief executive, is believed to have been struck down by the 'devil disease' soon after lockdown began.

She says the next few weeks were a “frightening rollercoaster of illness and recovery”.

Writing in the latest edition of the Bedfordshire-based organisation’s magazine, Nature’s Home, she refers to the "peaks and troughs" of her illness.

She writes: "The days were long day, but the sleepless nights were longer.

"Laboured breathing was punctuated by police sirens and tawny owl duets.
                                             
Tawny owl - a cheery note, but not when you're poorly

"Relief that another day was about to break was the ever noisier dawn chorus as spring picked up speed."

Happily, Ms Speight pulled through, and she says her garden helped to provide "solace".

She continues: "As I got stronger, I was able to leave the confines of my house for daily exercise.

"Magnificent street trees and my park gave me enormous pleasure and  respite."

What now for the resilient chief who is coming up to her first anniversary at the helm of the RSPB? 

"I have had time for reflection," she says. "I know I don’t want things to return to how they were.

"I don’t need to travel as much as I do.

"Home working and online meetings will become a bigger part of my future."

No comments:

Post a Comment