Wednesday 23 October 2019

BYGONE BIRDING (9): PUGNACIOUS BLACKCAP'S ATTACK ON WOUNDED RABBIT

Male blackcap - repeated assaults

From The Zoologist, 1843

THE pugnacious disposition of the blackcap  has long attracted my attention, and  I now purpose giving a short account of an attack made by this bird on a wounded rabbit.

In July last, I had an opportunity of witnessing a more than ordinary degree of pugnacity in this delightful warbler. 

As I was shooting those destructive animals, rabbits, I wounded one severely.

When endeavouring to escape, it was immediately assailed by a male blackcap which had been busily engaged in feeding its just-flown young.

It repeated its assaults and loud vociferations in quick succession, until the rabbit had become motionless and stiff in death.

Thereupon, it instantly retired, apparently rejoicing in  the victory it thought it had obtained over its more unfortunate adversary, in order to resume its parental duties with the assiduity of an
affectionate parent.

I could not help admiring the rash courage of so feeble a bird.

Further I thought of the wonderful provision which Nature has given to so many of its species to protect their helpless charges from frequently impending danger. 

I have repeatedly seen the blackcap chase, with the greatest success.  the greater and blue titmice when intruding on its precincts.

This songster is really a treasure to our groves and thickets. 

I have heard it pour forth its rich melodious strains for a full half hour, with little intermission, or without moving from its well-selected twig on the summit of some favourite tree or bush. 

Mr William Yarrell, in his History of British Birds, says with
regard to the variations in the song of the blackcap: "Like most other birds that are gifted with great powers of voice, the blackcap is an imitator of the notes of several others, and occasionally detracts from the character of his more natural song by the in-
troduction of variations." 

This I can verify, for I have often heard the blackcap imitate the lower notes of the blackbird, some notes of the thrush, and others of the robin. 

Having never yet heard the song of that far-famed songster, the nightingale, a treat which I am anxiously longing for, I think the blackcap makes an excellent substitute.

If it would only tune up its pipes during the dead stillness of midnight, I have little doubt that it would be thought nearly equal to the nightingale. 

When the female of this bird is sitting, I have noticed that the male becomes more shy and restless.

He rambles to the surrounding woods, and his song is more hurried and less sweet, and uttered only for a short time. 

After the young are able to provide for themselves, the blackcap, is most difficult of approach, and it is only with the greatest caution that the observer is permitted to take a view of this restless bird.

Vivian Walmesley 
September 9, 1843. 

No comments:

Post a Comment