Friday 27 March 2020

BYGONE BIRDING: STALKED BY A GOLDEN EAGLE

From the Western Mail, February 22, 1954


A GOLDEN eagle, being mobbed by rooks, stalked Lady Sherborne, wife of Lord Sherborne, as she walked in the grounds of her Cotswold home on Saturday. 

The bird, one of Britain's rarest and practically unknown in southern England, hovered 30-40ft above her and her two dogs. 

She said yesterday, "As I was walking in the park, the biggest bird I have ever seen rose in front of me. 

"My impression was of an eagle head and enormous claws. 

"It began to circle very low over the dogs, and, as I did not like the look of it, I made for the wood.

"The eagle followed, wheeling and swooping behind us, but, when we reached the wood, it made off." 

Lady Sherborne said that a "squadron of rooks" accompanied the eagle. 

"It was coloured gold and brown and was, in fact, a 'horrible beauty'."

No comments:

Post a Comment