Sunday 15 March 2020

BYGONE BIRDING: LITTLE GULL FAILED TO IMPRESS CORNISH BIRDSTUFFER

From The Zoologist journal, February, 1869


Little Gull at Looe 

Sir -

A little gull was shot here on the 17th of December last year..

On that day, as I was walking through the street, I met a boy with the bird in his hand.

He told me he was taking it to the birdstuffer, so I was satisfied that it was on  the right road for preservation.

However, on going to have a further look at it, three or four hours after, I was surprised to find that the so-called birdstuffer had refused it because it was "only a small gull, not worth stuffing.

I immediately called at the boy's home and was promised I should have the bird when the boy came in, he being away from home when I called.

In about an hour, it was brought to me with both wings cut off close to the body, with an opening in the breast, and in a very dirty state,

By dint of much washing and sewing on the wings, I have made a tolerable specimen of it. 

The person who shot it tells me there were a dozen or more flying about the mouth of the harbour at the same time, but, as he is altogether ignorant of ornithology, I cannot vouch for the fact.

However, I do not think he would intentionally misinform me.

He says he thought they were sea-swallows. 

Stephen Clogg
Looe
Cornwall 



No comments:

Post a Comment